Saturday, November 16, 2013

Stacking the Shelves: Foxes with Allegiant Adrenaline Rushes Meet Witches and Moths

Stacking the Shelves is a weekly meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews to showcase all the books we got in the past week. Those can be bought, won, gifted, for review, borrowed, print or ebooks... no matter, just share what you got :)


Hey guys... I'm still alive. I never intended to take a one-and-a-half week blogging break but a combination of me being very busy and not feeling well happened and I just couldn't bring myself to write posts. It also took me an entire week to read Perks of Being a Wallflower, which is ridiculous because that book has only 230 pages. There just wasn't time to read :( I hope I can pick myself up again a bit and that the coming weeks will be better.


Here's what I got in the last 3 weeks:


Bought in print
Allegiant, by Veronica Roth
Prince of Thorns, by Mark Lawrence

I was so mad when my preordered copy of Allegiant didn't arrive until almost a week after release day, but now I haven't had time to read it >.< GAhhhh I'm sick of avoiding reviews! Need to get to it soon.
Prince of Thorns is a book I've been staring at at the store for over a year. When I went on Halloween because I was feeling so un-halloweeny (sadly) and heard that the staff dressed up (they looked awesome), I didn't want to leave empy-handed. I wanted something violent and bloody. On the first page, there was mention of crows and war and blood and corpses, so I had to get the book.
I realize that makes me sound like a psycho. Oh well.


My precious

You may or may not know that I'm into old books. I've wanted a nice copy of Swinburne's poems for a long time, so when I found one on ebay for only 10£ plus very reasonable shipping, I was delighted! It's really very pretty. There's even gold foil along the upper ridge of the pages.
The problem: When I opened it, the front cover fell clean off >.< So I brought it to a guy in the Old Town part of the city who has a bookbinder and book restorer workshop. He can fix it, but it costs me about 60 Swiss francs (65$). *sigh* It hurts, but it's worth it. That's my lesson - no more old books from ebay.

Now, on to the digital side of things...

For review / tour:

Angelbound, by Christina Bauer
Adrenaline Rush, by Cindy M. Hogan

As I said, I don't have that much time at the moment and have decided not to accept any more tour invites or review requests for the time being, but I just couldn't resist these two...


Bought ebooks



The Witch of Duva, by Leigh Bardugo
The Too-Clever Fox, by Leigh Bardugo
The Moth in the Mirror, by A.G. Howard
Red Fox, by Karina Halle
The Iron Bells, by Jeanette Battista

I had completely forgotten about Leigh Bardugo's novellas! Witch of Duva will tie me over until Siege and Storm is out in the right paperback edition to match Shadow and Bone.
As for Moth in the Mirror, it took until earlier this week for it to be on amazon in such a way that I could buy it from my location! Rather frustrating. But it was worth the wait :)
Red Fox was on sale, and I already have book 1 in the Experiments in Terror series. Haven't read it yet, but I loved Halle's style in another one of her books that I have read, so I'm sure this series is amazing as well. The Iron Bells was a spontaneous buy because I was intrigued with the world that was hinted at in the description.


Alright, I think that was all of them... as I said above, I haven't been such a good blogger lately as in writing posts and returning comments and such, but I need to get over myself so I promise to get back to everybody this time :)

8 comments:

  1. I LOVE old books too! Too bad about the front cover (and 65$ to fix it??? O.O), but yeah sellers on ebay are best to be careful with. I only bought some fan merchandise from there and so far haven't had any problems, but have heard some "horror" stories....

    The cove of The Too-Clever Fox! <333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is also the first time I've had trouble with ebay, and I've bought quite a bunch of stuff from there. It's expensive to fix but well, it's a craft that has to be learned. I can't very well just leave the book the way it is... ^^''

      Delete
  2. Those Grisha novellas are really cool! I love that Leigh Bardugo wrote the folk-tale like stories. And omg I'm dying to read The Moth in the Mirror. Must get that soon because I need more Morpheus and Jeb!
    Brace yourself for Allegiant, it will bring out ALL the feels, trust me.
    Happy reading :)

    My haul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! I love old books too ♥ I just like to smell them and the feel they have in your hands! Very pretty find you got there but tough break on the cover falling off :( At least you were able to find someone who can fix it, I doubt anyone does that kind of thing anywhere close to me! Yay for getting Allegiant but you are the 2nd blogger friend to have received it looong after it was out! Did you order via BD? I had a similar pre-order dilemma with them for Insurgent and I haven't pre-ordered from them since. >.< Pre-order means you should get it BY the release date at the LATEST. Anyways, woah o.O I had no clue about the Grisha novellas. Seriously, book 1 is my #1 wishlist item, I *need* to get going on that asap XD Fabulous haul love, happy reading :D

    PS- I am also a horrible blogger as of late, we should form a support group LOL...not saying I think you are in fact a horrible blogger by any means (♥), just relating to the sentiment haha *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also had to do quite some research! I eventually went to a book antiquarian who couldn't do it himself but sent me along to someone who could.
      And yep, I did order via TBD. I've had the same problem with amazon though, and then again I've been lucky with both when books were released/shipped early *shrug*

      And we should totally form that group!!! :D I feel like I see a 'I'm burned out' 'I'm taking a timeout' 'I need to cut back' post every other day lately o.O

      Delete
  4. I still need to read Splintered! I hope you enjoy that novella I have heard so many great things about that series. Sorry about your ebay purchase. I would have cried, but at least it was fixable. Thanks for stopping by my STS:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Allegiant! I'm glad you finally got it! I feel you though- I'll get books but then have to push them back for others. I need to stop getting books from NG and EW. I have way too many as it is, but dang. It's really hard! LOL. I need to be better about commenting and such too (obviously since I thought I responded back to my comments this week!) Sigh. <3 Anyways. Happy reading Carmen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are definitely not a psycho Carmen! I'll probably buy it too just from reading that page too. ;D
    And ahh Allegiant! I can't believe I haven't read it yet. I hope you'll enjoy it Carmen!
    Thanks for stopping by my STS & sorry for taking so long to stop by!

    ReplyDelete