Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Waiting on Wednesday: The Elites, by Natasha Ngan

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill at Breaking The Spine to spotlight upcoming book releases that we're excited about.


This week's pick:

Release date: September 5, 2013
Publisher: Hot Key Books
Format: Paperback, 368 pages

Goodreads description
'There is a rumour that the Elites don't bleed.'

Hundreds of years into the future, wars, riots, resource crises and rising sea-levels have destroyed the old civilisations. Only one city has survived: Neo-Babel, a city full of cultures - and racial tension. Fifteen-year-old Silver is an Elite, a citizen of Neo-Babel chosen to guard the city due to her superior DNA. She'd never dream of leaving - but then she fails to prevent the assassination of Neo Babel's president, setting off a chain of events more shocking and devastating than she could ever have imagined. Forced to flee the city with her best friend Butterfly (a boy with genetically-enhanced wings), Silver will have to fight to find her family, uncover the truth about Neo-Babel and come to terms with her complicated feelings for Butterfly.

Packed full of adventure, romance, exoticism and the power of friendship, THE ELITES is a highly compelling and beautifully written novel from a supremely talented debut author.



This first got my attention because of the beautiful cover, but it's the description that really intrigues me. It sounds kind of like a mix between sci-fi and fantasy, what with the enhanced DNA and all. What exactly are the Elite? Why does Silver have to flee? I also want to know more about Butterfly :) Definitely a debut I'm anticipating! 
What do you think of it, and what's your pick this Wednesday?

12 comments:

  1. This keeps popping up more and more ofter, but it's still not going on my tbr. Gonna wait on reviews, because just from the summary... I'm not convinced yet.
    Good pick, though! My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cover is Kick-Ass! I too am seeing this cover more and more what with all the cover madness giveaways going around! But the blurb does look intriguing ! Not one to join the dystopian forces I have shied away from sci-fi and Dystopian books but I think I will be seen reading this book cause it sounds good! Enough rambling!
    Check out my Wow at http://sshah605.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooohhh... sci-fi + fantasy! Count me in! :D

    Here's my WoW

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep seeing this all over the place! The cover gets me each time. Great pick!

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yeah.. this went on my TBR before I started leaving a comment. hehe. Awesome choice! I love finding new books to add, even though I don't NEED to add anymore.

    Toni @ My Book Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not heard of this one, but it sounds good :)!

    Janina
    My WW!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one is on my list as well. Great cover.

    My WOW: http://www.bookythoughtsandme.com/waiting-on-wednesday-perfect-ruin/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another book about assassinating! Yay! :D<3
    And I just love the title and the cover.
    Great pick Carmen & thanks for stopping by my WoW! (:

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I also want to read this one! :) It sounds great and all the books about assassinating were great. Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait for this one! It sounds really cool and the cover is interesting. Thanks for sharing. :)
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  11. YES, I've seen this book around and it looks/sounds SO amazing!! The Elites sound really compelling and Silver (&Butterfly) sound like brilliant characters! Great pick & thanks for stopping by my WoW ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds interesting, and it's always nice to find a great book from a debut author. Hopefully this will be one!

    Here's my Wow http://greglhill.blogspot.com/2013/07/waiting-on-wednesday-4-falconer.html

    Greg

    ReplyDelete