Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Authors that deserve more recognition

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Every week they post a new topic that the participants come up with a top ten list for.


This week's topic: top ten authors that deserve more recognition

The tricky thing about this topic for me is that sometimes I'm not actually sure just how well-known an author is... so maybe some of my picks are a bit off? Let me know in the comments, I guess ;)

Cat Winters
Her debut, In the Shadow of Blackbirds, is haunting and brilliant. It made me feel anything ranging from happiness to sadness to anger or despair. I'm looking very much forward to reading more from her! I think the book has gotten a bit of coverage in the blogosphere (and rightfully so) but still I think the majority has never heard of it.

Karen Mahoney
A British author whose books I love! She concluded the Iron Witch trilogy in April with The Stone Demon and I can't wait for the next book in her series about Moth, a teen vampire. She has a great sense of humor and I enjoy the aspect of popular culture/nerdiness and snark in her books ^^ She's also really nice to talk to on twitter!

L.A. Weatherly
Her Angel series is amazing! She crafts strong, likeable characters and I love how she balances action and romance! I met her in April in the context of a writing workshop and she was very approachable and gave great, concrete advice :)

Sarah Rees Brennan
Not sure she really belongs in this list? Anyhow, I think many people know of her as Cassandra Clare's friend, but I actually read the Demon's Lexicon books before I heard of Cassie and The Mortal Instruments and damn, they're amazing! The snark! The dangerous, unique magic!

Kate Griffin
When I read A Madness of Angels, I put sticky notes all over the book because there were so many amazing passages! It will make you look at the city in a whole new way. One of my top favorite Urban Fantasy series!

Susan Dennard
Another case of I'm not sure she's 'unknown' enough for this list? Anyhow, her series is awesome! It's a great mixture of historical, steampunk, and zombies. I can't wait for A Darkness Strange and Lovely!

Kelly Creagh
I can't fawn enough over her Nevermore series! If you love E.A. Poe and creepy YA, you should definitely give it a try! She also wrote one of my favorite book boyfriends into existence - Varen Nethers. Her writing is wonderful and I love how she incorporates Poe and his work so seamlessly into the story! It's way too long until the release of the final book :(

Bethany Griffin
Another Poe-person! I love her Masque of the Red Death duology. Her writing is lush but with an unflinching sharpness to it. She's not afraid to hurt her characters but she also shows that they can find moments of beauty in despair. Can't wait to see what her next book will be about!

Gina Damico
If you like reaper books, get this one asap!! Gina Damico is hilarious - I laughed so much while reading Croak on the train that I kinda wanted to stop because everyone was looking at me all weird but I just couldn't because it was so damn good! She mixes the horrible and creepy with the sarcastic and absurdly funny and her imagination is made of awesome.

Susan Kaye Quinn
I've only read episodes 1-6 in her Debt Collector serial but I tell you, it's amazing! If you want male POV New Adult that is not a contemporary but an awesome kind of sci-fi retro-noir story - give it a shot! Fantastic world-building, mysterious characters, and very engaging writing! After reading episode 1-3 I had to get the bundle for 4-6 immediately and I read it all on the same day.


Well... I can't really stick with 10 this time around, so here are four runner-ups that I think are amazing but also well-known -ish, I think? Not sure.
Holly Black, Kelly Keaton, Kiki Hamilton, and Rachel Vincent.


So, what do you guys think of my picks? Have you heard of these authors? And who do you think deserves more recognition? Link me up :)

9 comments:

  1. I'm intrigued by what you said about Kelly Creagh's books. Might have to check her out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't keep mine at 10 either. I remembered two important ones at the last minute! LOL. Love your list Carmen! So many great authors that are on my TBR! In fact, I think Rachel Vincent is the only one I've read and everyone else I've got on my TBR. :D

    My TTT

    Jessica@Lovin' Los Libros

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I REALLY have to read the Angel series. You got me interested in it. ;D -adds to TBR list-
    Great list Carmen! :D

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you of SRB. She's on my list too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard of most of these. Loved The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah. I need to re-read it soon though so I can finally finish the rest!

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, SRB and LA Weatherly deserve recognition for their talent. Or at least SRB does on her own, aside from Cassie's shadow. :) I loved the Demon's Lexicon series, but I enjoyed Unspoken even more. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have read the first two books of Gina Damico's Croak series and while I didn't like Scorch as much as Croak, it's definitely worth reading for the chuckles :D
    Historical fiction is not my favorite genre, but In the Shadow of Blackbirds sounds really interesting. So I might have to check it out. Thanks for the rec! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay me, a lot of these authors are on my reading list already: Cat Winters, Sarah Rees Brennan, Rachel Vincent & Holly Black! I actually got Coldest Girl in Coldtown at BEA so by September I'll have crossed Ms Black off my list for sure :) The Soul Screamers series is a pretty high-priority wishlist item and I'm dying to read In the Shadow of Blackbirds too :D Fantastic picks doll!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh man, I could have included Kelly Creagh and Gina Damico on my list as well! They're amazing!

    Off to check out some of your other picks...

    Thanks for stopping by!

    Ems

    ReplyDelete