Friday, July 12, 2013

Discussion: how do you decide in what format to buy a book?

Hey guys :) Time for another discussion!

This topic might be a bit weird, but I've noticed a tendency in my book buying patterns so I wanted to ask what it's like for other people. This mainly concerns people who buy both print and ebooks, but anyone's welcome to join!

So. I used to read only fantasy for about 10 years, but one and a half or so years ago I branched out into YA (with some NA) contemporary novels. I've noticed a peculiar trend though: nearly all my contemporary novels are ebooks!!! I'm not really sure why that is. Maybe it takes more to convince me I want to read the book, so I just put it on the TBR list and buy it when there's a kindle deal? Maybe I'll try to snag it on Netgalley instead? Another reason is that especially NA contemporaries are often self-published, so paperbacks may not be available.

Still, I tend to want fantasy/paranormal in print. I also prefer those covers to the contemporaries quite often, so that might be an additional reason. What can I say, I want the pretty on my shelf where I can look at it and pet it ;P

So what are your buying patterns? How do you decide what you want in print and what you'd rather read as an ebook? Is it totally random or do you tend to buy certain types of books in a particular format?

8 comments:

  1. I used to go to the bookstore and buy all my books in print, but once I switched over to a tablet, the only print books I generally get are the ones sent to me by authors or publishers. It's so much easier to just click that button on Amazon and have it to read whenever I want! I'm fearing the day when my tablet says, "Um, hello... I don't have any more room for your darn books!"

    Toni @ My Book Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and I also get way too many eARCs from NetGalley! hehe.

      Delete
    2. Amazon is definitely convenient! You have the book immediately and don't have to wait for it to ship, or rush to the store only to find that they don't have it! And I do love my Netgalley arcs ^^
      I still can't imagine to stop buying print books though... and what if something happens and all your ebooks get deleted? o_O The horror!!
      Thanks for adding your 2 cents :)

      Delete
  2. I hardly buy any e-books. Most of them are from Netgalley. I prefer paperbacks. They are less expensive than hardbacks and I think they are easier to hold while reading. A lot of books I buy are books I've borrowed from the library or a friend - or books I'm sure I will love after research on blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also mostly buy paperbacks. I actually like hardcovers better but paperbacks are cheaper and take up less space on the shelf.
      I wish the library was an option for me, but the books I want are those they have in German instead of in English and those translations are often awful compared to the original :( Book-crazy friends are awesome though!

      Delete
  3. I'd love to buy everything in print (hardcover!), but the shipping takes forever (and hardcovers are not cheap) so most of the time I buy the ebook or audiobook. I LOVE audiobooks! :)
    I do use Netgalley, but not much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I'd also love to get tons of hardcovers! But sooo expensive, especially if I buy them at stores. They're the equivalent of about 35$ here. I
      I'd love to get more audiobooks, but English ones are hard to find here and again, they're like 40 bucks >.< So I'd rather get the book...

      Delete
  4. Huh, that's an interesting observation. I definitely support your inclination to prioritize the fantasy genre by wanting those books in print. Since I a fellow fantasy lover, I can definitely relate to that! For me,I think it all boils down to my bank account. If a book is a high priority wishlist item, I'd prefer it in print but I can't resist a sweet e-book deal either! Example: for Under the Never Sky. I'd wanted a physical copy but when I saw it was on sale in ebook format, I ran and got a copy. When I do read it, if I love it I'll end up buying a physical copy eventually. If I don't love it, I'll just be glad I didn't spend the extra $$$

    ReplyDelete