Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: books I recommend the most

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Every week the participants post their top ten to a specific topic.

This week's topic asks the impossibility of me to choose the top ten books I recommend the most

Like seriously how should I choose?! I think sometimes I'll have to resort to just giving you authors. I'll also try to focus on books that maybe not everyone has already read and aren't that well-known. However, I'm currently lying propped up in bed with a fever so I might not be fully coherent...


  1. Nevermore, by Kelly Creagh
    Yup, because her writing is just that beautiful. And Varen is my favorite book boyfriend. The way Creagh weaves Poe into her story is magnificent! You can check out my review here. It's the first one I ever wrote though so beware...

  2. Anything by Holly Black really, but why not start with White Cat, the first book in the Curseworkers series? There you've got a type of Urban Fantasy I haven't ever seen anywhere like this. It's part noir, part fantasy, part gangster thing, and features lots of cons and twists and amazing characters and reader-heartbreak! I'd link you to my review, but I've only done book 3 so there'd be spoilers...

  3. The Night Circus, by Erin Morgenstern
    I know, I said no super well-known books. But seriously just pick this one up. It's magic enclosed in paper.

  4. The Replacement, by Breanna Yovanoff
    It was so great I still haven't found the right words to review it. It tore out my heart and I lost count of how many times I cried at the beauty and the sadness and how often my chest ached for Mackie.

  5. Melissa Marr's Wicked Lovely series
    To this day my favorite fairy series ever. I read the last of the spin-off mangas today and was reminded of just how amazing her characters and world-building are!

  6. The Language of Flowers, by Vanessa Diffenbaugh
    Another book that will put you through the emotional wringer, but it's sooo good! It's also theoretically New Adult, even though back then it wasn't marketed as such. It's about an ex-foster-home-girl trying to make a living in San Francisco.

  7. Anything by Ralf Isau, especially his Kreis der Dämmerung (Circle of the Dawn) books. I'm not sure if you can find them in English though, but he's a fairly well-known German YA, MG and adult author. I know his work's been translated into other languages... Many of his stories and characters are still with me and helped me through rough patches in my teens.

  8. Generation X, by Douglas Coupland
    Simply an amazing book! What he writes about the 90s generation is still fairly applicable today, IMO.

  9. Kate Griffin's Matthew Swift books, starting with A Madness of Angels (not god-like angels, they're the remnants of our voices in the telephone wires). Seriously THE best Urban Fantasy/Urban Magic series I have read. EVER.

  10. Finally, I feel like I should list a classic. Hm. Maybe Virginia Woolf's Orlando? Wilkie Collins' Woman in White?
I could have listed so many more books you guys!! Neil Gaiman. Gayle Forman. The Infernal Devices. Kim Harrison. Sarah Rees Brennan's Demon's Lexicon trilogy. Stephen King's Dark Tower series. Ugh >.<
Have you read any of them? And what can you recommend? Link me up in the comments :)

12 comments:

  1. It seems quite a few of us have The Night Circus in this week's list Carmen :D

    My Top Ten.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This week's TTT is a good reminder of all the books I still need to read! White Cat has been on my wish list for way too long! Love your list!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear you're sick. I hope you feel better soon!

    I've seen THE NIGHT CIRCUS on a bunch of lists, which is so funny because it's kind of a love it or hate it book. I happen to love it, but I only recommend it to certain people, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Nevermore but the sequel disappointed me. Also I've read Paper Valentine but I still have to read The Replacement. I've heard only great things about it. Others I must check :)
    Also read Jellicoe Road :) Trust me on this one.
    Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great picks -- I need to check some of these out! Orlando is also a favorite of mine!

    My TTT

    Eva @ All Books Considered

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still haven't read Nevermore yet. But it's on the TBR. I completely agree with White Cat...so awesome! I just adore Cassel. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nevermore is one of my favorites! I need to recommend it more. :)

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I desperately want to read The Night Circus, Wicked Lovely & anything by Holly Black. All on my wishlist that's for sure but I'm still shocked I haven't gotten a hold of Night Circus yet o.O

    I just added Nevermore to my reading list. No clue why I didn't have it but I feel like I thought it was a different kind of book. I was misinformed anyways but we're all good now LOL

    Great list all around Carmen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nevermore is soooo good!! I'm glad it's on your list now :)

      Delete
  9. I loved White Cat! And The Replacement, as well. Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. White Cat really is one of a kind book. I think I'm scared to read the last book in the series. Heh.

    My Top Ten! :)
    ~Gabbi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahhhh Nevermore I adore adore adore that book! Awesome list!

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete