Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Waiting on Wednesday: Insomnia, by J.R. Johansson

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill at Breaking The Spine to spotlight upcoming book releases that we're excited for.


My pick this week:

Release date: June 8, 2013
Publisher: Flux
Format: Paperback, 360 pages

Goodreads description:
It’s been four years since I slept, and I suspect it is killing me.

Instead of sleeping, Parker Chipp enters the dream of the last person he’s had eye contact with. He spends his nights crushed by other people’s fear and pain, by their disturbing secrets—and Parker can never have dreams of his own. The severe exhaustion is crippling him. If nothing changes, Parker could soon be facing psychosis and even death.

Then he meets Mia. Her dreams, calm and beautifully uncomplicated, allow him blissful rest that is utterly addictive. Parker starts going to bizarre lengths to catch Mia’s eye every day. Everyone at school thinks he’s gone over the edge, even his best friend. And when Mia is threatened by a true stalker, everyone thinks it’s Parker.

Suffering blackouts, Parker begins to wonder if he is turning into someone dangerous. What if the monster stalking Mia is him after all?

Okay, can I say AWESOME premise? I've never read a book like this. I can't imagine Parker's pain - I need to sleep at least a little every night, even if it's just an hour or two, before I can keep going again. I think the longest I've gone without sleep is maybe 30 hours? And for him it's been four YEARS?! Let's not even get into the issue of how screwed up dreams can be... I got an ARC of this book last week and I'm having a hard time convincing myself not to read it immediately. It sounds like a psychological thrill-ride :)
Have you heard of Insomnia? What do you think about the concept of it?



10 comments:

  1. Oh I've seen this book around. Even though the cover is creepy the blurb sounds so interesting. Well we'll see how it goes in June.

    Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a fan of the cover, so I keep forgetting what this book is about, but damn if that premise doesn't have me completely intrigued. I really want to read this! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, if I was Mia, I'll be dead scared. I'll want to read this asap when it comes out, but the cover turns me off. ):
    Thanks for stopping by my WoW Carmen! (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds incredible. You're right- so unique. Hope it's good. Adding to my pile.

    Valerie
    StuckInBooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH! this book sounds uber creepy but good. I am going to put this on my wish list also. Thanks for the heads up on this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that's a very cool idea, I haven't heard of something like this either. I would have read it the minute I got it lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I snagged a copy of this recently, too--can't wait to start it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one sounds really amazing and unique. I can't wait for it to come out. Great pick!

    Thanks for stopping by my My WoW
    Anatea @ Anatea's Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! Thanks so much for highlighting INSOMNIA, Carmen! Hope you enjoy the ARC! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eeeek this sounds thrilling & enigmatic - it's definitely a new one for me so thank you for spotlighting it! The premise kind of reminds me of the film The Machinist (El Maquinista starring Christian Bale)! I'll be looking out for your review on this one, hope you'll love it :)

    ReplyDelete