Saturday, July 7, 2012

Review: My Soul To Keep, by Rachel Vincent


This post was originally part of the Soul Screamers Challenge hosted by Rachel from fiktshun. I had posted it on my personal tumblr because I didn't have this blog back in April. Reading over it again, I find parts of it a bit awkward because it's one of the first reviews I've ever written, but I decided not to change it since it's my genuine reaction to the book at the time. I think I’ve kept it spoiler free, but because of that it’s necessarily a bit vague since this is a plot-heavy book. Feel free to comment & discuss :)
Don’t know the Soul Screamers books? Check them out on Goodreads!

Blurb from the back of the book:
When Kaylee Cavanaugh screams, someone dies. And Kaylee is about to scream her head off…
Kaylee has one addiction: her very hot, very popular boyfriend, Nash. A banshee like Kaylee, Nash understands her like no one else. Nothing can come between them. Until something does. Demon breath. No, not the toothpaste-challenged kind. The Netherworld kind. The kind that really can kill you. Somehow the super-addictive substance has made its way to the human world. But how? Kaylee and Nash have to cut off the source and protect their friends—one of whom is already hooked. And so is someone else…

Review:
Wow. First off, let me say that I absolutely loved this book. After the first two novels, I already cared deeply about Kaylee and about what happens to her and her friends. I love how she is both tough and caring at the same time, fiercely protective of those she loves. And once more, her friends are in danger. Her month of being grounded has just ended, and she celebrates the event by going to a party with Nash. Let’s just say that at the end of the evening her car is totaled by Doug, one of Nash’s friends, who crashed into it while he was high – as Kaylee smells, on Demon breath! Which is highly addictive – and thus shouldn’t be in the human world! So who is selling it? And how can they be stopped… preferably before Doug gets Kaylee’s BFF Emma (and the rest of the highschool) hooked, too?
What I really liked about this book is that Kaylee has learned from her past experiences – instead of trying to take care of the problem herself, she actually wants to tell her Dad and Nash’s Mum (the adult and more knowledgeable Banshees) about the it and get their help.
But Nash is against it.
Hm… and what’s going on with Nash anyway? Because he is having strange mood swings lately and is trying to Influence Kaylee even when she does not ask him to in order to help her control her wail…
Kaylee has more problems than just that, too. She’s started getting death premonitions in her sleep – and crossing over into the Netherworld unconsciously! Waking up in a field of razor wheat in your pajamas, almost too hoarse to conjure up a scream to cross back to the living world… not cool.
Additionally, this book points out the limits and flaws in Nash and Kaylee’s relationship, and it was surprising, interesting and painful all at once to see him in a different light for the first time. Kaylee has to make important decisions, knowing she will be hurt no matter which way she goes. And while she would still risk her life in the Netherworld to save Nash’s, whether he is worth staying with afterwards is a different question altogether…

So, let me try to sum it up: this book is an amazing read! It’s fast-paced without leaving you breathless, it develops its characters beautifully and lets you empathize fully with their various conflicts. Kaylee is such an amazing female lead! She is not shiny-perfect. She is not weak. She does not define herself via her boyfriend. She is tough without losing her good heart. Also, she is out of her depth but tries to deal as best she can with the crazy Netherworld business taking over her life. Ah yes, the Netherworld… another place we get to see and learn more of in this novel. Let’s just say I can’t wait to read the sequel in next month’s part of the challenge!

3 comments:

  1. I have still not read this series. My reading group went through the series together, but I had other commitments at the time. I kept saying that I would go back to them. This is a great reminder that I really need to pick them up. Thank you for your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it piqued your interest again :) You can actually buy the books in collected volumes now (including the e-novellas) - that's how I started the series. It's really addictive ^^
      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. I love so much this book! The complete series is amazing! it`s so addictive! Your review is so great! Kaylee is awesome! LOVE IT!

    Thanks a lot for your review! ♥

    ReplyDelete