Saturday, July 21, 2012

Review: The Immortal Rules, by Julie Kagawa

add it on goodreads
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Publishing date: April 24, 2012
Format: Hardcover, 485 pages


Blurb from goodreads:
"In a future world, vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity."Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.

Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of "them." The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked--and given the ultimate choice. Die...or become one of the monsters.

Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.

Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend--a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.

But it isn't easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what--and who--is worth dying for.


Review (spoilerfree):
If humanity was wiped by a virus in the near future, leaving vampires free to step in and take control, this is how things would play out. The Immortal Rules is realistic, the world and writing authentic and not trying to sugarcoat anything. From its killer opening to its conclusion, I didn’t want to put this book down. For some people’s taste, the pace might be a bit slow in the beginning, but I enjoy getting to know and connect with the characters before the action goes down.

Allie lives in a decrepit, crumbling school building in the Fringe, a stretch of town between the inner and outer walls of her vampire city. After her mother’s death, she fell in with a gang of other kids around the same age, and together they try to scrounge up enough food to survive and defend each other and their territory against other gangs. Since she’s Unregistered, she doesn’t get foodstamps or healthcare and must be completely self-reliant. In return, she doesn’t have to ‘donate’ any of her blood to the vampires living in the glittering Inner City. The practical consequence: she is constantly starving and spends her days scavenging for food and other practical items.

Allie is a strong protagonist; she knows the rules of the system and does her best to make use of the loopholes in order to survive on a day-to-day basis. When a scavenging trip to the ruins outside the city ends in disaster, she is given the choice: to die of rabidism (humans/animals gone crazy with the virus, a constant menace in the wilderness outside the city) or to have a shot at becoming what she hates most in this world. Allie chooses to live – in a manner.

The first rule of being a vampire? Drink human blood, or go mad. When a mistake forces Allie to separate from her sire and leave the city, she experiences a new kind of hunger. Fighting her own nature, she tries to blend in with a group of humans on the road to a city which might or might not exist. Trying to keep her secrets, Allie is constantly torn between her lingering humanity and her predator nature, especially when she starts to develop feelings for a certain member of the group…

The world-building in this book is phenomenal and unique. Julie Kagawa avoids the initial infodump and lets the readers see and figure out a lot of the basics by themselves, but not in a way that is overwhelming or confusing. The main characters were well-rounded and the plot engaging. Allie’s struggles against herself and her surroundings, as well as the different ways people try to deal with the situation, kept me turning the pages. I also enjoyed that while some romance was present (and it was great!), it wasn’t the main focus of the novel. The ending rounded the book off well, but it also left enough questions open to make me anxious for the sequel!

One minor point of critique: while the main characters were fleshed out, some of the minor characters only had one or two actual character traits and were primarily functional devices. It wouldn’t have hurt to add a layer or so more to them. However, this didn’t really bother me while I was reading. All in all, the book definitely lives up to the hype!



More personal and spoilery thoughts:
I knew Julie Kagawa from her Iron Fey books (I’ve only read the first 2 so far) and really enjoyed the fairy-world she created there. I’m glad to say that she writes vampires just as well if not better.

I really enjoyed the section of the book that focuses on Allie’s training with Kanin, her vampire sire. She can satisfy her desire to read and learn in a world where most of the population is illiterate. I liked Kanin a lot, and I wished he’d been present for more of the book. He’ll definitely be in the sequel, though.

Also, Asian girl protagonist with a samurai-sword? Count. Me. In!! The fight-scenes were phenomenal. I loved the theatre-setting for the fight against the people who keep Allie’s group imprisoned. In general, Old Chicago must be one of my favorite book-towns ever. It was really interesting to see how different its organization was from that of New Covington, the city Allie comes from!

Another thing about Allie that I found interesting is that sometimes, I had the feeling she was harsher as a human than as a vampire. She wanted to protect the group she travelled with and was dead-set against leaving anyone behind if it could be helped – something she wouldn’t have thought twice about as a human (unless it was a gang member).

I was a bit surprised by the structure of the book. From the blurb, I had expected Allie to be a vampire already, with the parts of her human life being flashbacks. I was surprised the human-part lasted as long as it did, but it was a good way to show the workings of this dystopian society and how radical her transition from prey to predator really is – even though also there, she remains in an in-between state and has to keep hiding.

I think I have to stop my prattling now – all in all, I wolfed this book down when I was reading and kept wondering about what would happen next when I wasn’t. Whether you like vampires or dystopian novels or both – this is the book for you!


Have you read this first book of the Blood of Eden series? What did you think of it? Let me know in the comments :)


18 comments:

  1. I've read it and I liked it. The concept is different and that is always a plus for me. I also thought that Julie's visuals were very clear and dramatic.
    She doesn't hold back at all with the gross factor either - very pleasing since it is a YA. It drives me nuts when some complain that there is "too much" whatever in some YA's but for heavens sake they're Young Adult not juvenile.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I agree about the not holding back! It's gross and traumatic and it wouldn't work if she showed it any other way. I mean come on, YA is basically for people from 15, 16 upwards. It's not like they've never watched a horror movie.
      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. Great review! I just found your blog and will definitely be following it from now on! Btw, I nominated you for the Versatile blogger award! I don't know if you do awards but if you want to accept and pass it on the instructions are on my blog: http://heartisinthewriteplace.blogspot.com/
    :) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At first, I thought "Julie Kagawa doing vamps?! Oh no!" But I changed my mind after reading this! She made this book as interesting as her Iron Fey series. It's amazing! Same as you, I wished Kanin was present for a longer period of time because I really liked him! And an Asian vamp with samurai?! Who would've thought it worked! Allie kicks ass! One of my favorite heroines!

    Great review, by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you *beams* :D I had a similar first reaction and tried to ignore the book in the beginning, but it was impossible... it popped up everywhere and got stellar reviews. I'm so glad I gave it a shot! I've only read the first 2 Iron Fey books so far and I had the impression that her writing improved so much over the years! Definitely have to go back to that series :)

      Delete
  4. Well, after the Iron Fey books I didn't know how I would feel about JK writing about vamps! But it turns out I LOVED this book and I will definitely be continuing with this series!
    PS have you read the prequal? It's not YA but I enjoyed it! Great Review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is a prequel?! o.O How did I miss this? And where can I get it?

    Ahem. I agree with all you said! I was very skeptical at first but ended up loving it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is how I like my reviews - based on emotional and literary elements. I enjoyed reading this, and I too think that this was a great read! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to get my hands on this book! I keep reading all these awesome things about it and I'm glad you said they were just as good as her Iron fey books because I LOVE that series. Anyway Awesome review and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I seriously don't know why I haven't bought this book yet! Maybe because I find her writing a little slow and it takes longer for me to read one of her books than others? Who knows, but I do know I want to read it. In fact, your review proves to me that I'll enjoy it as I did enjoy the Iron Fey. You should finish that series! The last two books are my favourites :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really loved this book and I'm currently reading the sequel! The only negative point was the speed with which characters were killed off :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah, Julie does kind of go on a killing spree! But I actually found that refreshing. It made me actually fear for characters' lives instead of just trusting that the author would never kill off such an important person, which can take away the excitement if you know what I mean.

      Delete
  10. I've been a but reluctant about this book but I feel like kicking my elf now, better get it asap. Super review as usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I was reluctant at first as well but now I love the series!

      Delete
  11. I definitely want to read this book and I've been meaning to get it but I haven't yet. I need to. Thank you for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should, especially since the sequel is already out :) It's one of my favorite dystopian reads! Thanks for leaving a comment.

      Delete
  12. I just finished The Iron Fey series and I liked Kagawa's writing very much, so I'm planning to read The Immortal Rules during these Halloween-ish nights. I love vampire novels so much. Hope it's even better from The Iron Fey series. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm reading Iron Legends right now so that I can then finally move on to the Iron Fey spinoff ^^
      I think at the moment I like the Immortal Rules series better though :) I have a thing for bleak and gory...
      I think you'll really like it! It's a different from your run-off-the-mill vamp novel and that's refreshing, isn't it?

      Delete